St. John’s wort (Hypericum perforatum) is a perennial herb, St. John’s wort family (Hypericaceae). Height to meters. Has a branched rhizome. The stem is two-sided, dense.
The flowers are small, single or numerous bright yellow (Golden), with terpkovatyj, but pleasant smell, are collected in paniculate, corymbose inflorescences. Blooms in June-August. Gives the bees a lot of pollen. The leaves are opposite, dotted with translucent glands. Propagated by seeds. Seeds cylindrical, numerous, winged, small, oval, villous, or cellular. The plant has a bitter taste and balsamic odor.
In the post-Soviet space there are about 50 species. In folk medicine, along with St. John’s wort common St. John’s wort is used tetrahedral (Hypericum quadrangulum), but the healing properties and the external differences between them are insignificant. In Russia it is extended everywhere, except the far North. Grows in mixed and deciduous forests, on rocky slopes, meadows, among shrubs, prefers dry soil, above sea level rises up to 2300 m.
The name of the grass was due to the toxicity to animals, causes rasshirennoi of the pupils, vertigo and General dullness. Particularly susceptible: cattle, horses, sheep. For people slobotkin. Common names – punctured,pierced, blood grass, grass wounds of Jesus, hard hay, healer of wounds, hare blood and kovanica for his ability to paint hands red bloody color.
Harvesting, drying and storage
Medicinal raw material is the upper part of the plant with leaves and flowers (approximately 20 cm, without rough leafless parts) during flowering. The grass dried in the shade, occasionally gently digging up. The dried raw material is threshed, separated the stems and store in a dark place not more than 3 years.
Useful properties and composition
St. John’s wort is widely used in folk and traditional medicine. The plant has a complex chemical composition: flavonoids – glycoside, hyperinflation (hyperoside), quercetin, rutin; ascorbic and nicotinic acid, a large amount of carotene, tannins, essential oil, resinous and bitter substances, choline, traces of alkaloids, volatile and resinous substances, saponins, sugar, cielovy alcohol, choline, volatile.
The plant has wonderful medicinal and useful properties. The research established that the plant extract has an antidepressant effect, stimulates heart activity, raises blood pressure, increases the amplitude of heart contractions, relieves spasms of blood vessels, strengthens capillaries, improves venous blood circulation, improves the functional state of the autonomic and Central nervous systems. Compared to drugs on a chemical basis, a huge plus is the lack of a number of side effects and contraindications. Of herbs do herbal antibiotics – novoimanin and imanin used in severe burns, purulent wounds, cellulitis, acute catarrh respiratory tract, abscess, mastitis.
In folk medicine used as an astringent, anti-inflammatory, disinfectant and tonic. It is used in diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, respiratory tract, various skin diseases, rheumatism, gout, cough; liver, gall bladder, kidney, acute and chronic colitis, to strengthen the gums, and stomatitis. Positive effects on bile channels of the liver, helps with insomnia, headaches, relieves heaviness in the stomach, removes shortness of breath, etc.
Healers in Russia used to say that St. John’s wort can cure from 99 diseases. The plant was also actively used in magic rituals. Used to protect homes from evil spirits, from the juice did bewitch the drug. A plant used since ancient times in cooking as a spicy condiment for vegetables, meat and fish dishes; preserves.
– with a yeast infection to brew 1-2 tablespoons of raw material per 1 liter of water, 20 minutes in a water bath, douching to do 1 time at night for 3-7 days and a few months of thrush is not
– ulcers, abrasions and wounds, rubbed sage and Hypericum (equally) with lard, to wring out through a gauze, lubricating to heal. Store in tightly closed jar.
– contusions dining room the spoon of raw materials on half a liter of boiling water, boil. Cool wet bandage or cloth, apply on the night, covering with cellophane.
– to strengthen hair . rinse after washing with infusion of herbs.
– at diseases of kidneys, urinary bladder, weakness of the heart, gastrointestinal tract, colds, flu, cancer, pulmonary tuberculosis, headache, nervousness . 1 tbsp to 1 tbsp. of boiling water, to insist 30 minutes, drink half a Cup before meals 3 times a day.
– for acne make lotions from infusion: 10 g of raw material in 15 ml of boiling water, 1 hour to insist.
– in case of stomatitis, gingivitis, bad breath, strengthen the gums gargle in a strong infusion of herbs
when vitiligo to take infusion: 2 tablespoons of medicinal herbs per Cup of boiling water, infuse one hour, drink half a Cup after meals. To do a week break every two weeks. To drink for 3-4 months.
– for joint and muscular pain is applied hot compresses in alcohol tincture 4 tablespoons of raw pour 100 ml of alcohol, insist 10 days in a dark place.
– incontinence of urine . dried flowers 50 g per liter of boiling water, to insist 2 hours, take as a tea before bedtime.
– skin diseases (noncommunicable), with diathesis, rashes, skin tuberculosis, abscesses taking 3 lessons a week bath with the addition of infusion.
The constant use of tea from St. John’s wort strengthens the nervous system, stimulates the glands, regulates the stomach and intestines, improves appetite, strengthens the protective functions of the body. Tea with add lemon balm will regain strength and vitality, helps to concentrate. Will be useful when weather changes – normalizes autonomic fluctuations. Menopause tea is recommended with the addition of hop cones.
– while vitiligo, acne vulgaris, severe bruises and burns, sprains, purulent inflammation lubricate the affected areas with oil of St. John’s wort: herb pour vegetable oil 1:10, 2-3 weeks to infuse, shaking occasionally, in a tightly closed glass container. The resulting mixture strain. The color of the extract obtained red-color of blood.
Despite all the advantages, the grass should be treated with caution. St. John’s wort is not safe:
– contraindicated in pregnant women.
– in its purest form with hypertension.
– elevated temperature can cause hives.
– when taking large doses, increases the sensitivity to UV light, exposure to the sun is not recommended.
– the receiving plant simultaneously with immunosuppressants and antidepressants is contraindicated.
– speeds up the excretion of drugs, reducing the therapeutic effect that can adversely affect treatment outcomes.
too strong tea can cause pain and spasms in the intestines.
– do not take a long time (over a month), because it has slightly toxic effect.